We are delighted to announce the formal launch of the Durham City Velo Youth section.
Comprising regular coaching sessions right here in Durham City along with support for team members racing in the regional Youth race series.
We are currently in the process of attaining British Cycling Go Ride status,
We are committed to delivering a fun and engaging program that will enable participants to improve their cycling skills, have an enjoyable time with other kids and support them in racing if they want to do so (not at all mandatory)
Please visit the Youth Section of the website to find out more
Having now ran three sessions at our closed road facility at Sniperley park and ride we are starting to get it figured out.
The session on Sunday saw only youth riders (two new to the sessions and club) and highlighted that the sessions work better if focused on one age group )Kids or Adults)
To this end, Ive decided to make Sundays 3 to 5 Youth coaching sessions going forward. Parents and guardians are more than welcome to ride with their kids if they like but we will be focusing on getting the kids trained in the skills needed to improve their cycling ability.
Adults wanting to ride are more than welcome to come along and ride before / after the Youth Training session (we are onsite from 2.30) if they like and we will work on adult training session once we have the Youth sessions sorted and more of a roster of Coaches.
We can look at running sessions in the evenings after 7 if there is demand so please just let us know.
I will alter the scheduled events to accommodate this and post separately about how the sessions will now be formed.
We conducted a simple survey at the end of February and would like to share the results with you all.
Click here to see the results
As you can see the responses were good and the points made will be taken up and fed into the club. Updates to follow.
We have now ran two trial Sunday session and are pleased to say we can fully open up our training & ride sessions to everyone.
- Location – Sniperley Park and Ride – Location and directions here
- Session Day and Time – Sundays 3pm to 5pm
- Age range – Any age so long as you can ride a bike
- Equipment – any type of bike so long as its safe and you will need a helmet and appropriate clothing
To provide the best support the session will be split. First Hour will be Kids Coaching and Second Hour will be Adult Coaching. When one group is being coached in the central skills are the other is free to use the circuit unless asked to clear it to allow practice.
- Large open plan car park, perimeter used for cycle circuit and inner bays used for skills training areas
- Heated Ticket office with Male, Feamle and Disabled toliets. (Baby changing also available)
- Ticket office is fully glazed so you can watch riders whilst staying warm
- Pop up Cafe – Serving Tea, Costa Coffee, soft drinks plus home made cookies and cakes
- Coaching Fee per session £3 for both kids and adults
- Freeride (none coached) Free for DCV members and £1 for none members
Sessions are open to all, no mater which club your in and what age you are.
We will have a Fully qualified British Cycling Coach to run the training at each session for both kids and adults. The aim is to get you riding your bike better.
Freeride – If you dont want coaching and just want a safe environment to ride then you can come along and use the facility (we may ask you to clear the main track now and again for the coached riders practice) a small fee is available for this to contribute to club costs if your not a DCV member.