Category Archives: Member News

DCV Strava Club

Did you know we have a Strava club and it’s exclusively for full members only.

Go have a look here

If your a member and not in the group then just ask to join and our admin will approve you.

Now we are getting on top of our membership admin we have gone through the Strava group and removed non members. If we have removed you by mistake please ask to be added again. Check if your membership is up to date by visiting the membership section of the website and logging in using your email address (no password needed)

New membership system LIVE

Our new membership system has gone live and is available on our website here

The new system from membermojo gives us more features including –

  • email reminders
  • membership cards with emergency contact details
  • easy login – no passwords just need your email address
  • cash payments as well as cards
  • offline membership at meetings

and other features we will be adding in the future.

If your an existing member then please visit the system now and ensure your details are correct. We can’t send cards out until we have your emergency contacts and medical condition details.

If you don’t know your renewal date or are having any issues please contact us on info@durhamcityvelo.cc or pop to a meeting.

DCV formal meeting minutes Jan 8th 2018

DCV Formal Meeting – Monday 8th December 2018

Present:

George Kinghorn (Chairperson)
Ian Buil
Paul Bosomworth
Dave Tomlinson
John Hitch
Neil Morton
Jackie Morton

Apologies: Neville Cain & Joschka Roffe

George opened the meeting

To minimise any “lull” in activity all agreed to focus on organising AGM in February to allow election of new Chairman and committee then have open discussion for reminder of meeting.

AGM
Aim to have it 1st Monday/Tuesday in February (reason for possible move to Tuesday is so Neville Cain may be able to attend as he is willing to get involved in committee roles)

Decided not to have AGM and awards night at same time as not enough time to organise award trophy’s. Awards to be held after and AGM to be used to identify someone to organise.

John hitch to find a venue that can offer refreshments and buffet (or allow us to bring buffet)

Action points
GK to contact Neville to find out availability
JH to look into Prison officers club as venue

Club officials
David Tomlinson has expressed an interest in becoming Chairman for a year. He stressed he thinks the chairmanship should be a fixed term job changing yearly.

George is happy to move to a role as president to allow smooth handover and continuity but with minimal involvement in 2018 due to previously stated other commitments.

Jackie Morton has expressed and interest to become Treasurer

Neville Cain has expressed an interest in getting involved in helping with organisation.

Angela Phillips has previously stated an intent to remain as Secretary (confirmation needed)

Gordon Kirkup has previously stated and intent to remain Welfare Officer (confirmation needed)

Any other expressions of interest in rolls are needed ahead of the AGM

All of these rolls need to be formalised at the AGM and the new chairman then to work with team to take the club forward

ACTION POINTS
George to gain confirmation where needed.

Club Runs

Feedback has been received that “Faster Riders” have decided not to ride with the club as the traditional club runs are putting them off as its too slow. To rectify this we will trial having a Fast and Medium group at each ride. The Fast group to ride to the same café by any route they like ideally to arrive around the same time but not necessarily. Attendees understand that faster riders may find the steady pace a frustration so this is to try to accommodate them better.

The importance and focus of all club activities should be encouraging group riding at what ever pace is required by the riders.

Ride scheduling – it was agreed that we will trial scheduling Saturday runs that leave the Cock o the North car park (felt a better starting point) with no fixed destination. Route to be around 40 miles. Destination/route to be agreed by group on the day unless a ride leader wants to suggest one before and lead the ride.

Riding as a group is still the desire and the split into two groups will hopefully facilitate this.

Actions
GK to schedule Saturday runs for Jan with new trial structure

New Club runs

David Tomlinson restated a desire to arrange “on tour” rides with starting points outside of the City. This was received well and a desire to further this post AGM was the consensus.

Club Kit
Joschka Roffe sent a message ahead of meeting to ask on a discussion on kit availability. George needs to follow up with Angela to get things up to speed.

Actions
GK to work with Angela to rekindle supply and find a possible supplier for low cost Gillet for members.

With no further business to discuss, George closed the meeting.

DCV News 12.12.17

 

Transcription of video

Hello and welcome to the DCV news for the 12th of December 2017

Merry Christmas everyone – I hope to see many of you over Christmas either at the Christmas doo this coming Friday or on rides. If I don’t then I hope you and your families have a great Christmas and that Santa manages to get the bike you want down the chimney.

This edition of the news is a bumper one as we have all the news from the Formal meeting on the 4th December. I will post the official Minutes on the website today.

So lets get started

First some announcements on CLUB OFFICIALS.
We have a vacancy for Treasurer so please let me know if you would like to take on this role as we need to formalise it at the AGM in February.
The main bit of news from my point was that I need to step away next year as I currently have 2 businesses to run and limited time to do anything else. This has been the same this year and I feel Im holding the club back as I cant do as much as could be done. Im not going away and will still be at meetings and riding but I cant do all the things aI have been and should have been doing.
So that leaves a vacancy for a new Chairman – please let me know if you would be interested and I can let you know what it involves ahead of our AGM.
One suggestion was that I became President and another that I stay chairman and the new person is the vice chairman – Im happy to explore any ways of doing it , like I said Im not going away I just want the club to do as well as it possibly can.

MEMBERSHIP
We have had around 8 people join up in the last month – please do so if you have not. We decided that those not joined by the end of December will be removed from the Strava Club and wont be allowed to join club runs. I will be sending out an email to all who have lapsed membership overt the coming weekend. Secretary Angela is working on a welcome email for new members and looking at Club membership cards.

CLUB GOAL
We discussed what the goal of the club should be and after much discussion settled upon the fact that we exist, so we can ride together. The goal of the club should be to encourage and support group rides and activities. Please comment on this and we will agree it at the AGM.

CANCELLED RIDES
I explained that the previous week has seen 3 cancelled rides. This was due to bad weather. I wanted to make clear it was on safety grounds and that it was at the ride leaders request on each of them. We agreed that any cancelled rides in the future would say that people were welcome to ride if they wanted but it was not a sanctioned club event. Discussion was had that we had a default ride in these cases such as a ride to Seaham. Again a matter to discuss a the January formal and agree at the AGM.

RIDE LEADERS
We discussed the need for ride leaders and the need to train and support them. Can all that have lead rides or want to lead rides get in touch so we can start planning this? We also discussed training sessions for all on group riding, new leaders being a support leader on rides first to learn whats needed, a written guide on ride leading, ride leaders mobile numbers published in the event so all had their details incase they got lost, extra club points for leading a ride, and purchasing a club garmin with mapping to help routes. All areas that need more discussion and agreement at coming meetings.

EVENTS
Suggestion was made of organising short touring trips next year. Lots of agreement and something that needs taking forward at coming meetings.

CLUB KIT
Ive got all needed info from Kalas and now need to work with Secretary Angela to get her up to speed so we can get orders placed. Discussion was had around getting all on club runs to be in club colours and an idea to source a low cost jacket / Gillet was mentioned so all had a top layer with DCV on it.

CLUB RUN STARTING POINT
Discussion was had about the club run starting point. Is the current place to hard to ride out from. Consideration needs to be made to keep it in Durham City and to allow free parking. Suggestions were made and these need to be fleshed out and agreed at future meetings.

CLUB RUNS
Neil Morton said he was planning to move Sunday runs from the tracks to the road in the spring. David Tomlinson suggested that we switch Saturday rides between road and Track/Cyclocross to give variety. Discussion was also had about having different pace groups on club runs – this again needs more discussion and work. It was identified that we need to work towards having rides published 4 weeks in advance so plans could be made.

AGM / CLUB AWARDS
It was agreed that we should have the AGM in mid February and have the club awards doo at the same time. John hitch can arrange this at the Kings Lodge and we need someone to arrange the awards – please get in touch.

So in summary as Ive prepared this news it has struck me that we need people to take responsibility for certain roles in the club so as to move it forward. Please step up and let us know what your intrested in doing. No matter how small amount of time you can give it will make things better for everyone. We have our next Formal meeting on January the 8th – please come along, email, message or call me with suggestions.

Have a great Christmas and remember DCV is YOUR club so lets make it even better.

DCV Formal Meeting Minutes – Monday 4th December 2017

Download PDF version here

Present:

George Kinghorn (Chairperson)

Angela Phillips (Secretary)

Steve Down

Ian Buil

Neil Aldworth

Mark Lowery

Ray Watson

Chris Graham

Paul Bosomworth

Dave Kell

Dave Tomlinson

John Hitch

Neil Morton

 

Apologies: None

 

George opened the meeting by thanking everyone for attending and explaining that an agenda had not been prepared to allow for an open discussion regarding any issues members wished to raise.

 

GK – George informed members that he intended to step down as chairperson at the next AGM as he was unable to commit to moving the club forward due the ever increasing workload of his two businesses. This was not a decision he had taken lightly but one that would enable the club to develop as it should under the guidance of a new chairperson. He added that if members had not renewed their membership by December, they would be removed from the Strava Club. A reminder email would be sent out shortly by him to this effect.

 

George then asked members what they felt the goal of the club should be. Members replied that they wished to be an inclusive club despite not currently organising any events of their own. He also queried whether mountain biking (MTB) was to be included in club activities. Members replied that Tracks n Trails was a popular club activity and therefore should continue to be run by the club. The issue of cancelled rides was then raised by George with members agreeing that it should be the decision of the ride leader (RL) whether a planned ride should go ahead.

 

NM – Neil added that a default ride might be the way forward in such cases such as a coastal ride to Seaham.

 

GK – George informed members that the Boxing Day ride was still to be finalised and asked if the ride leader’s mobile number should be made available to participants on a club ride. This was agreed by members and to be included in the event post on the Facebook page in future.

 

DT – Dave raised the issue of the club ride starting point. He stated that starting in Durham City causes problems with traffic on a Saturday, resulting in the group being split quite quickly at junctions and roundabouts.

 

GK – In response, George suggested using the Stonebridge Inn as an alternative.

 

SD – Steve added that there was a little car park near The Cock of the North and Durham Johnston School which would also be suitable.

 

NM – Neil informed members that Sunday club rides (road) would begin after the winter period.

 

DT – Dave suggested that the club could consider alternating rides between the track (CX/MTB) and the road to provide variety for members/participants.

 

GK – George raised the issue of awards at the forthcoming AGM. Trophies would be awarded for points gained throughout the year by members participating in club activities. He added that additional points could be awarded to those who had led rides with 2 points being awarded to RLs and 1 point to participants. He also suggested that points could be redeemed for vouchers if members were in agreement. George then raised the issue of the formal structure of committee meetings, to be discussed at the AGM, with a suggestion of holding quarterly meetings. Members felt meetings should not be so frequent to avoid meetings taking place for meetings sake.

 

DT – Dave queried whether ABC rides should be provided by the club as they are by others. He suggested that the RLs could agree to meet at a particular cafe with a different route for each ride. This was discussed by members with a final decision yet to be made.

 

GK – George queried whether the destination point of the Saturday club ride should be arranged on the day.

 

SD – Steve replied that participants like to know in advance the route to be taken.

 

ML – Mark proposed a 4 week plan of known club rides which could then be alternated.

 

GK – George suggested that there be a RL group for the club, spreading the responsibility of leading rides between more of its members.

 

NA – Neil queried why members didn’t want to lead rides. George replied that it was the responsibility and also the need for RL training. He added that group riding skills would also be a positive move as this would not only encourage RLs but also improve the experience of club rides.

 

ML – Mark added that changing the RL during rides might also be a way to share the responsibility.

 

GK – George suggested that the club could also buy a Garmin to support RLs and that a group riding video could be attached to each club ride event. This was well received by members. He then asked whether the video updates he was posting should continue. Members were totally in agreement with this as they found them extremely useful and a quick way to access club information.

 

DT – Dave suggested that the club organise some short touring events for summer 2017. Like a sportive, members could agree on a different area to cycle in and then share cars or travel by train to the starting/finishing point. He then raised the issue that a vote would be needed at the next AGM if George was to step down as chairperson.

 

NM – Neil proposed that a vice chairperson would be a good idea, freeing up George to take care of his businesses. George was in full agreement of this.

 

DT – Dave responded that he was prepared to be more active in the club which was very well received by members. He then added that the club needed to stipulate that the Saturday club ride was only suitable for a road bike when posting the event. This would prevent MTB riders from falling behind others due to pace/bike ability.

 

ML – Mark raised the point that the club kit should be worn by members when participating in events to promote the club. It was also discussed that the purchase of a club gilet could be the first stage to purchasing club kit, making it more affordable.

 

AP – Angela will prepare a welcome email for new members/renewal memberships and forward membership cards to members once a stock is received from George.

 

With no further business to discuss, George closed the meeting.

DCV News update 14.11.17

Communication – its the most important thing in life isn’t it?

I was at the DCV club social last night and lots of valid and interesting points were raised and discussed but there were only 5 of us there (well 6 if you include Neils dog Axel)

With that in mind Im going to try and do regular news update videos so we can all be involved in the conversations. Please email, FB message or phone with any comments etc

Cheers

George Kinghorn – DCV Chairman

Skoda Cycling Club

On Monday I received an email asking If we could ride a route that mirrored part of the Tour de France for the Skoda Cycling Club. (Look here)

Of course I said yes and and tonight off we went to ride it.

It was a bit tricky to start with as it was rough tracks but then went to road followed by parts of our track and trails route.

I will add anther post once the full report has been published by them

The Route

map

Heres a video of the initial part